HISTORY OF ILIOCHORI:
of Iliochori in 1890
is not easy to go back to the orgin of the town, from some historical findings
it seems that in the 11º century BC, were formed, small isolated comunities,
in the place of "Rascianà", "Lipochori" "Koukourounzu"
and "Souri", that later on, for reasons that are ignored, probably for
several reasons like the search of a place, richness of drinkable water, the inhabitants
abandoned the place and constructed the town in the actual "Dobrinovo"
(Slavic Name of the 14º century) that means Dobri+Novo (Good
+ New). But not all the inhabitants moved to Iliochori, some of them settled in
Laista (the town that distant 14 km) that in this period was called Lisinitza.
During the period of the slavic hegemony in the Epirus, (VI - VII century d.C.)
the town of Dobrinovo already existed, as it turns out from the slavic evidences.
the XIV century the Monastery of Panaghia was constructed by the creten monkies.
In 1431, as the "Vrisochoritan" Nikolaos Exarchos reports in his book
"To Ntombrinovo", the Turkish adminitration counts 1180 inhabitants.
In the following years it
either as number of inhabitants or as prosperity. It's learnt, from the evidences,
of the existence of a document that contained a convention made with a doctor
of Pades in order to offer mediacal attendance. The convention that in the period
of one year established that the municipaly of Dobrinovo would have paid only
the wage to the doctor in order to offer free medical attendence to the inhabitants,
who have only paid the medicines. The documents were signed in 1616 and were destroyed
with the fire of the Municipality by the Nazis in 1943.
1812 the french consul Pouqueville visited the region and reported that in
the town of Dobrinovo he found 750 inhabitants. After few years, since 1815 in
Dobrinovo there was a continuation of greek schools and lessons took place in
the Monatery of Panaghia and later in some private houses. During the year there
happened the first great destruction of the Comunity of the inhabitants caused
the bubonic plague desease. The town cries numerous victims and the inhabitans
shelter themselves in the mountains in order to escape from the disease.
1819 the Metropolita of Ioannina Gabriel visits the communities suffering
by the disease and in the town he meets 160 inhabitants. In a letter of Ath. Psalidis
dated 12-02-1823, sent to Movrokordatos, descrives the situation of the Epirus
and Tessally, under the Turkish occupation, showing a Armed Struggle for the liberation.
It reports that the town of Dobrinovo where people live, they were able to carry
the weapons. The town of Dobrinovo in that period was in use the school separated
for the boys and the girls and was constructed using the aqueduct that brings
the water to the town and bridges that opens new roads. The inhabitants of Dobrinovo
travel a lot and become traders but they do not forget their town and they contrubute
for its development. The greek newspaper published in Constantinopolis, speaks
about 1200 inhabitants in the town of Dobrinovo. Unfortunatly for the town follows
a period of economic decadence! Before the Balkans wars in 1912, then the first
world War, block the trade activities that the Iliochorites had created with the
countries like Burgaria, Serbia, Montenegro, until Russia. Later with the arrival
of the Spanish flue is pulled down on all the towns like also Dbrinovo with numerous
until 1912, Iliochori was under the dominion of the Turks, that had granted
to all the towns of Zagoria a governmental autonomy with the payment of taxes.
The town has rich the maximum development between 1870 and 1900.
the population came decimated so-called Asian flu. The inhabitants of Iliochori
lived of breeding of sheep, cows, of agriculture, cultivating grain, barley and
vetch. They dedicated great cures also to the viticulture, producing a good wine.
But they were also of the traders, in spring left in caravan with mules and horses,
carrying of the goods that they above all sold in the countries of the Balkans,
where many had constructed true and own economic fortunes. They come back to Iliochori
at the end of autumn to spend the winter with the own families. In the winter
months the shepherds dedicated to the handicraft, forming itineranti corporations
of masons and sculptors in wood that travelling for the Balkans selling their
1914 in Iliochori there was the school of the chassis situated over the road
of the currently city hall where the girls learned to weave. The building belong
to the Gianussi family that had donated it to the city cuncil; beyond to the webbing
school there were the elementary school, the primary and secondary schools that
were found in the same building. In these schools there were teachers females
for the girls and teachers males for the boys.
1912 the building this building was burnt and in 1924 started its reconstruction,
finished in 1927; first master was Papasisis. After the 1920 the houses inhabited
were 160, during the second world war the Germans are arrived to Iliochori in
1943 and have burnt great part of the houses of the town.
In 1926 the
town change name from Dobrinovo was assigned the name to it of Iliochori that
in Greek means "Town of the Sun".
In 1944 another battalion
of German steped from the town, searching carefully without damaging it. The town
endured large damages during the civil war from 1946 to 1949 and many inhabitants
emigrated. It followed the period of the civil War and the town suffered large
damages and between 1946 to the 1949 many inhabitants imigrate towards the east
countries, the town did not offer many opportunites of joband many are moving
in zones of greater cultivation like Thessally, the Macedonian, etc.
1990 many original of the place, coming from several parts, like Athens, Thessaloniki,
Ioannina, Larissa and also from Italy,have begun to repopulate and revaluate the
town, constructing new houses. In the period, are being born, many initiatives
of building recovering like the renovate and the valorizatin of the church of
Aghios Nikolaos. Always in this period has been born a small commitee for the
creation of the tourist attraction like waterfall of "Balta Stringa",
in the locality Rascianà that attracts visitors also from France. Dimitris
Hatzis has written a beautiful book called "Double Book" and according
the author the Iliochorites has large shoes and straight brain. This is our anthropological
characteristic which the author reports. Who has more material about the history,
old pictures of Iliochori etc might send by e-mail to our Webmaster or to our