CHURCH OF AGHIOS MINAS:
you love nature and fresh air you cannot miss a nice walk on the road that brings
to Ioannina. After few meters outside Iliochori you will find the little church
of Aghios Minas. The door of the church has been replaced with a new one
in the summer 2009 by the countryman Georgios Polimeris. In this church the first
days of august it celebrate the mass for Aghios Sotirios, which many countrymen
partecipate who return from other localities.
In the entrance of Iliochori
there are turistic signal that they indicate a tourist distance that drive to
visit the town and the surronding territory.
Who loves touristic tours can follow the appropriate signals, placed on the side
of the road that penetrated inside of Iliochori. Inside of the town there is founds
the new main square finds where us situated a building that before accomodated
the elementary school now is destinated at the comunal offices. Click in the images
in order to enlarge them.
we keep going down we get to Mesochori that means "Center of the Town"
as this was the old main square of the town that extended up to "Sochora";
in this public square there is the famous plane-tree, one of the largest of Greece.
PLANE-TREE (Aghios Nikolaos):
one of the most important naturalistic beauties, with perimeter of 10.5 m, between
the largest of Greece. Lot of tourists who has visited this plane-tree are remained
stupefy. ' Some says that it has more than 600 years and it has used as meeting
place after the mass. At moment is also place of festivities from the countrymen,
where they meet to lanch made up of meat and fish, in order to continue with the
traditional dances of the place. The place is also suitable for for children concerning
beside the plane-tree is finds a small park plays and for those who loves sport
outdoor is finds a small basketball court.
CHURCH OF AGHIOS NIKOLAOS:
the square is finds the church of Aghios Nikolaos, constructed in 1850, one of
the bigger church of Zagori. A wide courtyard, where the countrymen, relax after
the celebrations in order to exchange the wishes and news of the relatives, leading
to the porch, supported by lowland columns. Inside
of the church is one of most evocative with the central altar for the player where
in external rows there were the chairs situated in indian row facing the altar.
On the walls precius icons and bizantine frescos of hagiography object. The roof
has been recently completely re-made, using the big plates of slade that come
from the far away Kavala.
the big Plane-Tree we can find the bridge of Peccios made of stone; if you keep
going you can find the Church of Aghios Athanasios.
BRIDGE OF PECCIOS:
bridge in stone probably laughet to the period is the Ottoman empire and has become
also one turist attraction. Like the majority of the bridges of the regions, the
bridge of Peccios was constructed with the donations of the Epirotes. A large
sum was donated by its benefactor which the bridge takes the name. The expense
for its construction has been covered by the family of Antonis Peccios. In the
earthquake of 1967 the little bridge has suffered serious damages but later has
been restored. In the summer 2005 ulterior intensive activities of maintenance
they have been concurred to put the bridge in safety. Do not exist information
on its constructors.
CHURCH OF AGHIOS ATHANASIOS
church of Aghios Athanasios is found approximatly 500 m from the town,
alond the path that brings to Laista. According to some testimonies, the church
has been constructed around 1770 by the Blasio monk, than it has chosen as player
place. At moment does not find in optimal conditions as it was shelter by Albanians
who after the fall of the Oxa goverment, arrived clandestinely in Epirus and insulted
the temple lighting fires, destroying icons etc. It has visted by the tourists,
directed to the waterfall of Balta Stringa. Keeping along the path to the right
side, close to the Kriopotamos river can be visited the ruins of the old flour
mill of water, still more ahead is find the great waterfalls in locality "Balta
WATERFALL OF BALTA STRINGA
waterfall distants 20 minutess on foot from Iliochori, properly marked from the
beginning of the town. The waterfall is found at 780 m from the sea level, is
formed from thress waterfalls, the largest is high 25 meters with a majestic swimming
pool on the base. In october 2009 the television SKY has shooted a documentary
on this natural beauty and in Iliochori. In order to visualize the video click
on the following link.
in Iliochori & Balta Stringa
CHURCH OF PROPHET ELIA:
In the vicinity of the Church of Aghios Nicolas there is the rural path that leads,
after 2 km, to the little hill on top of which there is the little church dedicated
to the Prophet Elia.
road continues for the city of Koniza joining the road Ioannina - Thessaloniki.
CHURCH OF PANAGIA:
far from the central square of Iliochori is the church of Panagia, about 10 minutes
from the country. Built in 1350 by monks Cretan. It was one of the richest before
the Turks robbed after the killing of Ali Pasha. n this church you can admire
the ancient icons, the old altar and expertly carved wooden furnishings. Opposite
the church is a small covered porch which also has a big bell with a Venetian
'Latin inscription. Near the church were discovered two well-preserved catacombs
where the monks of
the ancient monastery, hid
themself in the Ottoman period, to escape the Turks. In 1822 the soldiers of the
Ottoman sultan, having murdered Ali Pasha in the island of the lake Pamvotis island
of the lake of
took possession of many works of the monasteries in the region of Zagoria. The
church of Panagia (dedicated to Madonna), of Iliochori, was victim of robbers
who did not spare even the monks, believing that there were hidden money in the
temple and sacred objects. Adjacent to the church was the cemetery in the twentieth
century moved next to the church of Agios Nikolaos, due to the depopulation of
the country. In 1943 it was devastated by the Nazi soldiers who do not spared.
The epirotean Costas Krystallis, writing some articles in a newspaper in that
'year, the villages of Pindos, reported that the church of Panagia of Iliochori
was the source of much historical information.
to see is Rascianitis River, which flows downs the vallaey from the town it is
a tributary of the great Aoos, where you can go fishing. The place is also ideal
for hiking or biking in one of the most healthy and beautiful landscapes. The
road, which from Iliochori leads to Vrisochori, continues to Palioseli a small
village in mid path exceeds Aoos by a sturdy bridge built a few years ago to replace
the old, who was carried away by winter floods.
This road continues for the
city of Koniza onto the road Ioannina - Thessaloniki.
locality Gyftocambos, every year, on the first weekend of August the descendants
of the ancient tribe of Sarachazani, great breeders, meet up for a great festivity
that begins on friday afternoon. They come from all Greece and other nations of
the Balkans like Romania, Bulgaria etc. On their arrival they set up the tents
and light large bonfires for the preparation of the roasts and in order to warm
themself because at night temperature goes down. On saturday afternoon in the
center of the public paved square is ignited a big bonfire around which people
will be dancing until Sunday afternoon.
are accompanied by the orchestra consisting of mandolin, clarinet, tambourine,
and various solists. People drink, eat and dance; on sunday morning professional
dancers perform, dressed with the typical Epirus costumes. Celebrations go on
until the afternoon when people begin to take apart their tents and leave again
towards their residences. It is a communitarian moment much felt that reminds
the periods in which the flocks, at the beginning of spring move from the coasts
to the green mountains of the Epirus. The shepherds used to move not only the
flocks but also their respective family and someone has ended up with taking residence
in these mountain villages. From the town of Iliochori we can admire the mountain
of Papingos where the den of the famous bandit "Ndavelis" is situated.
According to the historians he spent 1 year in this den during the period in which
the Epirus was under the Turks domination. Papingo is also destination of the
Tzai pickers (one variety of tea).